Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sei Americana?

Maybe it is Bologna, maybe it's Italy, or maybe the world is just that small. Last night, I was walking from work to meet Giancarlo and our friends from New York that arrived earlier in the day. Now, I don't look Italian... not even close. So, when I'm stopped for directions (and oddly enough a lot) I love getting a chance to practice my Italian.

But, last night, I was stopped by an adorable couple who asked me, in Italian, for a local pizza joint. Nothing was nearby so in explaining that, the gentleman picked up my non-Italian accent, and asked me "Sei Americana" (Are you American) ? "Si" I said, and then he said "Ah me too!" We started chatting and exchanging stories. I then asked the obvious question, "What part of America are you from?" With no hesitation, he responded "San Diego." My mouth dropped, and I took a slight step back.

Seriously?!

He's from La Jolla, and I'm from Carlsbad. Two coastal So Cal beach towns 10 minutes from each other, and we all met in Bologna.

Pinch me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Pages